When choosing a garage door it is not a straightforward decision that it was in the past. Today there are so many different materials, colors, and models to choose from. Buying a garage door is a big expense and one that should be thought out before hand.
- Tilt up/swing up—this one opens by rotating out and upward. They are the one that is less expensive but they are not able to operate if any objects are placed too close to the door. They can also let in some water and snow if not shut tight.
- Sectional roll up—this type has four or more hinged horizontal panels that roll over tracks. When it is open the door lies against the ceiling. They are more expensive and will require professional installation. They are safer and stronger and do not use any additional garage space.
Automatic door openers can be used with both of these types.
Most can be customized with stains or paint. You can get wood garage doors in long raised panel, short recessed panel, and flush design. Most garage doors can have optional glass inserts and windows added for esthetic or practical reasons.
There are basically four types of materials that are used to make garage doors.
- Wood—these have a natural look and generally are affordable. They can cost from four hundred dollars to one thousand dollars depending on the panel construction and type of wood. They do require regular maintenance in order to stay in top shape and can be painted to match the home. They can also be covered with siding so that it will blend into the overall design of the home.
- Steel—these come is a steel insulated door and a single-layer door, which is the one that is more economical. Because they do not rust or warp it makes maintenance cheaper and easier and they are more durable than wood garage doors. They cost approximately one thousand doors and need to be professionally installed. The thicker the door the better the quality but this means a higher price.
- Aluminum—this type is inexpensive and lightweight. They do dent easily and when painted, they do not look that good. The cost is rarely over six hundred dollars.
- Fiber glass—this type of door comes in a variety of finishes, colors, and designs. They can break easily if installed in a cold climate and they do not provide good insulation.
When purchasing a garage door make sure that the company offers a warranty on the installation and product. If professional installation is needed it should be included in the price along with removal of the old garage door.
When looking for a garage door company Palatine, IL or garage door company Mt Prospect, IL ensure that they are insured and bonded so that in the event of any onsite accident you can claim insurance.