Life of a window screen depends on many environmental factors and structural factors, and that determines its replacement time.
Following are some of the factors which determine screen’s life:
- Mesh type: Aluminum, steel, fiberglass, etc.
- Structure: Flimsy or well-built
- Corner: Mitered or plastic
- Frame: Aluminum or steel
- Little ones: Children, dogs, and cats punish screens
- Usage: How often the screen is moved or handled?
- Environment: Severe weather, sun exposure, near to sea or ocean, etc.
- Water damage: Dump areas or sprinklers
How long should a Screen last?
A standard window which is at a shade, remains dry, get cleaned regularly or near regularly, and is not being handled so much, should last around 10 to 15 years and then it will start breaking down and would require replacement. If you maintain the screen regularly and take care of it, you can add more 5 to 10 years to its life.
For Longevity of Screens Life, You Should Maintain Them
Following are tips to increase the lifespan of your screens:
- Window track should be kept free of water and dirt.
- Screen mesh shouldn’t have any hole, if there you find any, replace it.
- Make sure screen mesh is within the frame if it isn’t then you should get it rescreened.
- You should get your mesh rescreened if it looks very shiny; it means that it is getting old.
- Frames of the window should regularly be wiped around every three to five months, and there shouldn’t be any corrosion.
- You should check plastic corners and if they look faded then replace because they are about to break.
- The spline needs to be replaced if it continually falls from the slips.
- If the spline looks it’s coming out of the frame, push it back using spline tools.
In almost every case, the maintenance cost is lower than the replacement cost. You can do most of the maintenance by yourself without paying others and also keep the screens of your windows in good working order.
It is also a fact that in today’s world the primary factor isn’t the money, it is the arrangement or adjustment of time to make the maintenance, and secondly, one avoids going into the messes of maintenance.
If you are planning for new screens in your house, for any type of screen you can contact Store Urbain, they have a variety of screens, and you can pick up the ones to your liking.